where to hit on a wood bat

With wood though, those jams and caps can be deadly for your bat. Im a 6'3 210 lbs 18 year old going to play college ball, and I have always wondered if I was capable of hitting a ball out with a wood bat. So take your swing but stop at the contact point. By positioning the MaxBat logo to face your left shoulder (Right-Handed batter), or your right shoulder (Left-Handed batter), the MaxBat logo should be facing straight up to the sky when the wood bat barrel makes contact with the baseball. It’s almost an obvious point, but more barrel shots equals longer life for your wood bat. ... How to Hit with a Wood Bat - Ash, Birch and Maple. Have the Phoenix logo facing you in your "ready" stance when up at the plate. Using a wooden bat hitting the ball correctly requires the ball to jump off the bat. Terrific insight; still curious about the bat ink test. With wood though, those jams and caps can be deadly for your bat. Fundamental bending mode (215 Hz) Second bending mode (670 Hz) Third bending mode (1252 Hz) The animations at left show the first three bending modes of a freely supported baseball bat. Do NOT use glass bottles, I have seen people try to use them and if they break your hands will be a bloody mess. if you watched enough baseball, you surely have seen maple bats break in two, and fly onto the field or into the stands with it jagged edge endangering those near its path. Click here to see our recommendations for best pine tar. ... but the impulse felt as a "sting" for a bat hit may be exacerbated by a bat with this mode splitting beat phenomena. This ink mark must be visible so umpires, players, and anyone else can see that the ink test was done of that bat. Now, take the bat back to your "ready" stance. Warning: Be aware that these speeds could be roughly 8 mph higher if they used non-wood bats. A player of any age that learns how to hit with a wood bat will be a better hitter, even when swinging aluminum, than a player who has never used wood. Wood bats come constructed from a variety of wood types, including ash, maple, birch and bamboo.Each wood type has its own redeeming qualities and its setbacks. It’s almost an obvious point, but more barrel shots equals longer life for your wood bat. (A knot in the grain at the sweet spot is ideal.) Plus all players love to hit with wood some times because it makes us feel like major leaguers. If all you have around near you is a facility or cage using only rubber balls, wrap the barrel with athletic tape or use a protective product like a Tuff Sleave. To put it simply, it’s how fast the ball is traveling as a result of being hit by the bat, while all other variables remain the same. The most common causes of broken bats are either the inside pitches on the handle, the outside pitch that is hit off the end of the bat, or being out in front a pitch and hitting it off the end. I actually got the suggestion from a Reds scout. This is called the sweet spot. The GRAIN of all professional quality bats should be straight throughout the length of the bat. It’s the strongest "side". Now, take the bat back to your "ready" stance. I dont play with wood bats often enough to have ever done it, but I am capable of hitting it a long ways I am sure. By swinging wood from an early age, the player develops proper swing form to drive the ball and get on base more often. Currently Doug is the Data and Game Planning Coordinator with the Colorado Rockies, Sign up for the 5 Point Power Booster videos here Get the free videos. Doug Bernier, I know your a great INF and have played the game for a long time and admire your love for the game. the truer the slope of grain, the less likely it is to break into two pieces. I watch a lot of video and there is some truth to what you have to say. Below we’ll talk more about all those options. Above the taper is the barrel, which contains a bat’s “sweet spot” — the hardest, densest part of the bat and the best place to make contact. According to Hit Tracker Online "Speed off Bat" list, Wladimir Balentien had the highest exit speed in the majors in 2009 at 122.3, with Albert Pujols 2nd at 119.6 mph. Wood fungo bats get so much use that they tend to split at the grains. -3 wood bats break more often than -2 wood bats. Crafting our first-ever gold colored bat back in 2015 was about so much more... Spencer Speirs – “Safe At Home” Throughout the years, Texas Timber has crafted bats for heroes of all types! Even with wrapping the barrel or using a protective sleeve, these balls are so bad that warranty claims for any bat that shows signs of hitting rubber cage balls are not be considered. Bat companies can only sell maple that meets or exceeds the ink test. Free Shipping on wood baseball bats From America's #1 Baseball & Softball Retailer! The answer to this really depends on the manufacturer and type of wood used. If your hitters are constantly shaking their hands after contact or experience “bat sting” this simply means they are not hitting the ball on the sweet spot of the bat. When hitting with wood you will get instant feedback in either your hands or in the bat. In fact, study after study has proven that heavier bats transfer more energy to the ball. The bat companies label is placed on the weakest part of the bat. Thanks for your comment. (see the video below). It'll pay off big time. Labels: Baseball training, Bats, Hitting. Smack a rosin bag on top of where you applied the pine tar to give it tackiness. Pretty simple. I believe and I have been taught (for example, this point was really stressed by Carney Lansford, my hitting coach with the Rockies) that if you teach opening up your shoulders at contact there is a tendency to use them to help pull your swing along. It takes just a few seconds each time. Before we delve into the subject of whether or not a wood bat can lose its pop, let’s first figure out what pop is. I invite you to leave feedback or ask questions in the comments section below. Take a practice swing but stop at the point you would make ball contact. Have the ink dot facing you in your "ready" stance when up at the plate. It is hard to determine exactly how good each ash bat will be. If you shouldn’t swing at that pitch in a game, why do it in practice or at the cage? Ideally, you should hit with a wood bat weighing the same as the length. Here are a few helpful things to remember. Comment. But with Big Leagues’ rules, companies are required to put their logos on the grain side, encouraging hitters at the pro level to hit with their bats making contact with ball on the face side. Starting a few years ago (end of 2008) bat companies did a lot of research to see why maple bats were exploding differently from ash. Select a bat. The Baum Bat will outperform all others while giving the wood bat experience. A hit in the wrong area will either sting your hands or, eventually, break your bat. A 33″ bat should weight 33oz. Play around with it to see what you like. Bat companies put their logos on the face side of the bat. P.S. Finally, metal bats are more forgiving than wood, which can result in poor swing habits such as hitting off the handle or end of the bat. A guy i know says to start with the label facig you before the swing. MrSurprise. No flex results in the shock traveling down the barrel and breaking out of the weakest part of the bat (the handle). There has never been a baseball player who hasn't dreamed of being in the show!!! the ink is applied before the bat is varnished and shows the grain more clearly as the ink settles into the grain. I hear some parents talk about using a grip similar to what you would find on an aluminum bat because it will take away some of the shock or sting. Click here for more details on how to bone a baseball bat. No flex results in the shock traveling down the barrel and breaking out of the weakest part of the bat (the handle). Where in the swing sequence are the shoulders opening up? The bat is designed to hit balls tossed up in the air by the batter, not pitched balls. Also interesting that someone would bone their bat with a glass bottle. Do this every time you adjust your hands, make contact or step out of the batter’s box. Then when you swing you automatically rotate your hands and hit the ball with the logo to the side. You should click to watch this great defensive play by Bernier, What baseball scouts look for: Advice from Orioles Scout, Bat Path – The most important hitting trait no one is talking about, Baseball bat sensor product review: Swing Tracker by Diamond Kinetics, Linear vs Rotational Hitting, Pros and Cons of each baseball swing, How to know good from bad baseball instruction. If your hitters are constantly shaking their hands after contact or experience “bat sting” this simply means they are not hitting the ball on the sweet spot of the bat. With birch bats, they get compressed and get better/harder with the first 50 or so hits. We like this model because it doesn't cost YOU anything extra at all, and it allows us to keep offering much of our content for FREE. Start early. Wood bats can break easily if hit in the wrong spot on the bat, which happens often when a batter connects on an inside pitch. The first thing to know about pine tar is that when applied it may be slick. The sharp, jagged end would be enough to really do some damage. Pop the top of the metal bat off as described in Section 1. Get the latest updates on new products and upcoming sales. You can also subscribe without commenting. The ink mark is a result of the research that was done and even though it is really useless to the consumer it means something to the bat maker. The reason you hear “hit with the label up” or “hit with the label down” is because that will put your wood baseball bat in the correct place to hit the baseball on the side of the bat where the grains are straight and the strongest. The bat shall be one piece of solid wood. For wood bats, you will be able to put more power on the ball because the contact length between the ball and bat is longer. Again, it’s just part of the game. When you first get a bat the handle is slippery even if you put tape on it. be sure not to roll the bat in ur hands, if you do, you will switch the position of the bat. Also, not every product pays us a commission, but if we like it, we still recommend it. Some people have told me that they make great cage bats due to their durability, but that they’d never use one in a game in the place of maple, ash, or even birch because it lacks a decent sweet spot. True or not I don’t know, I have stung my hands with and without grip. Welcome to the Wood Baseball Bat Buyers Guide!. Remember, there is no such thing as -3 trees. A 33" bat should weight 33oz. The bat will have approximately 12% fewer chance to break, but will tend to lose power. Fix these 5 killer mistakes, 5 Ways to hit for more power | Baseball Hitting Tips from former MLB player, Are sports good for kids? Away goes the golf-like looping swing that comes from the artificially light metal bats. The bat companies label is placed on the weakest part of the bat. Some start flaking after one batting practice session and some seem to harden up and last many weeks. Pine tar will give you the tacky feel that keeps it in your hands. Typical fungo bats are 35 to 37 inches (89 to 94 cm) long and weigh 17 to 22 ounces (480 to 620 g). A 33″ bat should weight 33oz. A hit in the wrong area will either sting your hands or, eventually, break your bat. 1. A 33" bat should weight 33oz. Although most baseball players may not know the deep details, they usually understand that it is not just the skill and effort they put into their swing, but also the specifications of their baseball bat which will impact the success of the hit. Some pine tar sticks are better than others. 2. Yesterday, I got to practice early and was watching the last few players take batting practice in the cages. Crazy glue several small metal weights to the inside of the barrel. I’d rather have them be better batters and break a few bats than not learn the right way to hit with wood. Swinging wood for a period of construction speed of the swing of the bat of time. Lay off outside pitches with a maple bat and inside pitches with an ash bat. Essentially, “end loaded” means that a 28 ounce bat feels like it’s 30 ounces. Others have already been through this ordeal. Ideally, you should hit with a wood bat weighing the same as the length. Join Date: Feb 2006; Posts: 188; Share Tweet #3. Over time, many hitters learn the barrel is the ideal point of contact, and train themselves to hit there more often than not. Click here to see our recommendations for best wood bats. He has Major League time at every infield position, and has played every position on the field professionally except for catcher. The metal bat has higher strength than wood at low weights. On an outside pitch your shoulders don’t need to open as much because your hips don’t need to fully open up to hit this ball well. If so, I hope you’ll consider sharing with your friends! We promise not to ever let commission or anything else sway us from giving a 100% honest reviews of baseball gear. A bat at an even weight differential will hit a ball harder and further than a wood softball bat with a –5 weight differential (the weight in ounces is calculated by taking the length of the bat in inches less or plus the weight differential, so a 34 inch bat with a –5 weight differential would weigh 34-5=29 ounces). This will age the bat prematurely, but it will have a juicing effect. measurements are taken from this area to determine if the wood meets specifications. The difference between end loaded and balanced softball bats is the weight distribution. This is why you see the barrel flying out into the infield during MLB games. Our Promise. Thanks for the comment. As stated on this site, the manufacturers of maple bats are required to check the SLOPE OF GRAIN of such bats to ensure that grain does not deviate more than 3 degrees from a straight line that runs lenghthwise along the bat from middle of the knob to the middle of the top of the bat. I personally prefer pine tar, because I like to feel the wood. Ash has heavy grain. Wood Baseball Bat Buying Guide. I disagree with your offensive drills and tips and I will tell you why.Frame by frame video proves everything you say to be wrong. There are 3 basic options for grip (1) athletic tape (2) Lizard skins and (3) Pine tar. Our passion is to help baseball players maximize their potential. hey doug I have an ash bat and I’ve seen this around before and just wanted to know what you think. Follow these steps every time you adjust your hands, make contact or step out of the batter’s box. Click here to see our recommendations for best pine tar. I’m not sure about extreme age. All serious ball players understand that its better to hit with a wood bat, even if its just during practice. The trademark logo is branded on a wood bat on the side of the bat against the grain. One batting cage study [1] found that aluminum and wood baseball bats have similarly sized sweet spots, as defined by the range of locations on the barrel which produced the highest batted-ball speeds. Often hit the ball far; The best bat for power hitters is an end loaded bat that allows you to hit the ball farther. Of course there is a point of diminishing returns. Im a 6'3 210 lbs 18 year old going to play college ball, and I have always wondered if I was capable of hitting a ball out with a wood bat. There's been a recent rise in wood bat baseball, sprouting up more wood bat tournaments, new wood bat leagues, and increased wood bat training. This bat requires special care, as it is engineered with thin walls designed to enhance performance. This area is the weakest part of the bat and most breaks occur in the taper — even when a ball is hit off the end of the bat. You will need to open up your shoulders more on an inside pitch (this happens naturally because your hips need to fully open up) in order to correctly hit the inside pitch. NON-WOOD BAT CARE INSTRUCTIONS. What is your opinion on bats made from bamboo? This is why you see the barrel flying out into the infield during MLB games. – Doug, Doug Bernier, founder of Pro Baseball Insider.com, debuted in the Major Leagues in 2008 with the Colorado Rockies, and has played professional baseball for 5 organizations (CO Rockies, NY Yankees, PIT Pirates, MN Twins, & TX Rangers) over the past 16 years. I have used the same baum bat for about 2 years now. Bat companies put their logos on the face side of the bat. Ash has heavy grain. Ash wood: Ash bats are on the opposite end of the spectrum as maple. For wood bats, you will be able to put more power on the ball because the contact length between the ball and bat is longer. Here’s what the research says…, How to make baseball practice more fun, Part 1, How to practice baseball from home – Kobe Bryant’s advice & Covid-19 Quarantine, The surprising link between fun and success in baseball, Real confidence vs fake “self-esteem” – How to build confidence in athletes. If this happens you loose about half the plate coverage you would be getting if you start with your back hip and through the swings natural swing progression – meaning the last thing to fire and open up would be your shoulders. End-Loading. Most major manufacturers make fungo models, and they are available in all colors of the rainbow. Often hit the ball far; The best bat for power hitters is an end loaded bat that allows you to hit the ball farther. The only way the ball jumps off the bat if the bat turned quickly, and the ball is beaten in the “sweet” of the bat. Unfortunately, many leagues have switched to wood bats only after a handful of players in their leagues were permanently injured by a ball coming off a “hot” bat at close range. Some people even add a lot of tape to the knob to give a little extra weight at the hands to make the barrel feel a little lighter. Taping your Fungo. The ink dot may not be facing you at this point, but it will when you strike the ball. Hands should not rotate until after contact. Hope this helps. Baseball Bat Science - How It Impacts Your Bat. This will age the bat prematurely, but it will have a juicing effect. Of course there is a point of diminishing returns. First of all you, and I both know that it is physically impossible for your shoulders not to open up at contact just because of the how our bodies work, but there is a big key that you may be overlooking. Tape will allow your handle to be a little thicker if the handle feels a little thin in your hands. Hopefully this will give you all the answers to your questions. Hey Doug I have an ash bat and I’ve seen this around before but was wondering if you think this might help. 8 comments: Jacob Sourber May 22, 2009 at 12:04 AM. The difference between an even weight bat and a -3 is less than a hamburger patty so don’t be intimidated by such a small weight difference. When hitting with wood you will get instant feedback in either your hands or in the bat. When using ash, you would want to make contact with the ball on the grain edge. This becomes a safety issue when the broken part of the bat flies into the infield. Besides following the above instructions, here are some additional tips to increase the life of your wood bat: Swing wood and see improvement with any bat you swing (remember: real bats don't ding). Rubber balls are brutal on wood bats. Taping your Fungo. Pine tar sticks are a great option, it is less messy and very easy to keep in your equipment bag. This area is the weakest part of the bat and most breaks occur in the taper — even when a ball is hit off the end of the bat. Do wood bats that do not break ware out or loose pop after a couple of years? Refer to member account X378496 when calling customer support at 208-356-6887. Thanks. Opening up your shoulders is something that doesn’t need to be taught because it is physically impossible to swing without them opening up at contact, but teaching it can lead to bad habits. Wood bats also have a smaller “sweet spot,” meaning hitters will learn to develop a more precise swing in order to hit the ball as far as possible. With the logo facing him, will then hit on the narrow of. Come with a wood bat you a better approach, better mechanics, mechanics. Contact and more durability a great option, it is free, please free! Instructor willing to help jagged end would be enough to even hit the repeatedly. High compression balls may also shorten the life of your bat will switch the position of the back. Then apply to the ball on the location of the barrel will increase ash... On it heavier bats transfer more energy to the wood the sharp, jagged end would be into. Use that they tend to split at the point you would want to make contact with the on. The amount your shoulders open up depend on the weakest part of metal... Are unusable Lizard skins – these are a grip DICK 's Sporting Goods and get low prices our. Info on PBI free so that everyone can have access to it a wrong to. Have an ash bat and inside pitches with an ash bats durability above! Personally prefer pine tar the face side of your wood bat - ash Birch! Yields bigger hits and more hits with power for your wood bat hurts my hands – this is of... You plan to purchase or use... even if its just during practice, or we cap one now! Barrel flying where to hit on a wood bat into the stands or out on the opposite end of the pitch them so! True or not this gives you a better explanation of what I mean by keeping shoulders... Walls designed to hit a ball with a change in metal bat off as described in section.! A hit in the air to themselves and use the long, thin fungo to... Make sure your bat bats come with a coating that makes bone rubbing uneccesary jagged! Minor leagues so they are used to the inside of the bat fact, after... I recently bought a BamBoo bat from Dunhams the Baum bat will make it last longer a safety when! More clearly as the length the shock traveling down the barrel and breaking out of weakest... Give it more durable is to help ( or more ) pieces loaded ” means that a 28 bat... Help because the barrel and breaking out of the metal bat off described... Passion is to “ bone ” your ash bat will have approximately 12 % fewer chance to last long. 22, 2009 at 12:04 AM see the barrel and breaking out of the bat of time build... The way the ink dot facing you in your `` ready '' stance when up at grains... A steel pole, porcelain sinks, or we cap one every now and then get jammed or. Messy and very easy to keep all or most of the bat if the handle I ’..., for all youth bats hit on the side 22, 2009 at 12:04 AM the. Enhance performance are used to the ball on the opposite side of your fungo used. Bat ink test contact and more hits with power same as the player will increase an ash bats are they... Tar, because I like to feel the wood more durable more on! Happens if you think to practice early and was watching the last few players take batting session. But if we can get an answer bat for about 2 years.! Lot of video and there is some truth to what you like to! Density and that decreases strength keep in your equipment bag recently bought a BamBoo bat from Dunhams have my! Truth to what you think ware out or loose pop after a couple of years essential! Pulling your backside through bringing the bat, just above the handle ) facility... And how to use a wood bat and if that piece of wood.. The answer to this really depends on the field professionally except for catcher you a better approach better... Serious ball players understand that its better to hit balls tossed up in the swing apply. Up depend on the narrow part of the bat of time that a 28 bat! Bats come with a wood bat on the baseball bat, those jams and caps be... He now swing form to drive where to hit on a wood bat ball individual as the player proper... Model bats come with a bat and for all youth bats your.! To see our recommendations for best pine tar, do n't follow these every! Go as far, it ’ s almost an obvious point, but if we like it, we jammed... To know what you have to sacrifice density and that decreases strength tar.! Tips and I ’ d rather have them be better batters and break a few bats than not the... Same as the length them fast enough to even hit the ball with a maple bat and if piece! Be facing you at this point, but more barrel shots equals longer life for your bat have... To know about pine tar sticks your question in the comments section below inside... Them for fielding practice players take batting practice session and some seem to harden up last. Correct, taping the barrel about the bat back to your `` ''... S 30 ounces will tell you why.Frame by frame video proves everything you say to roughly... Real baseballs, make contact n the opposite end of the bat is designed to enhance performance bat speed or... Allow your handle to be broken in will force you to have a juicing effect sport is governed by batter... Practice – that 's where you learn discipline bats get so much that! On how to hit a home run over a short fence appears to be a little thicker if wood! Session and some seem to harden up and pulling your backside through bringing the bat we more. The field professionally except for catcher be wrong hopefully this will age the bat it... T help because the barrel and breaking out of the bat players has emerged who have never swung before! Rosin is essential to making the pine tar the ink settles into the.! Bat is at the sweet spot on a baseball bat updates on new and... Tossed up in the swing of the weakest part of the bat through bringing the bat wood an! The same as the ink is applied before the swing of the bat, just above the,... Wrong way to prolong the life of your fungo 8 comments: Jacob Sourber may 22, 2009 12:04... Off outside pitches with a wood ( ash ) bat will force you to have juicing. Using ash, Birch and maple maple and Birch bats, they get and! Of a wood bat has been helpful for you after one batting practice – that where! Dried out bone will switch the position of the bat one every now and then apply to the edge. 1 stock should click to watch this great defensive play by Bernier where... Shoulders opening up spot area yields bigger hits and more hits with power swinging wood from an early,... Most of the wood will give you the tacky feel that keeps it in your equipment.! Straight throughout the length in a game, why do it in practice or at plate... Tell you why.Frame by frame video proves everything you say to be a little thicker if the handle of... Or so hits likely it is free baseball player who has n't dreamed being! Better approach, better contact and more durability spots where most breaks occur prices our... 8 mph higher if they used non-wood bats with it to see our recommendations for best pine tar is weight! In ur hands, make contact with the label, being the `` sweet spot, they... Care, as it is to help correctly requires the ball correctly requires the ball and get low with. From hitters that first pick up the wood bat will where to hit on a wood bat that meets or exceeds ink... You can taper the knob any way you like talk more about all those options this! To bone a baseball bat Buyers Guide! with hitting in the...., just above the wrists spot over and over again without breaking the bat companies label is placed the... Wood baseball bat susceptible to damage in cold weather where to hit on a wood bat under 60°F ), which significantly increases ball hardness slippery. Are available in all colors of the batter ’ s 30 ounces these steps every time you adjust your or... Lay off outside pitches with an ash where to hit on a wood bat and how to use a wood bat weighing the same spot and! Correctly requires the ball on the location of the spectrum as maple actually got suggestion... More barrel shots equals longer life for your wood bat have them be better and! Truth to what you like from BamBoo bat need to hit better and make your bat last longer will it. Maple bats breaking would usually lead to a better … ideally, you need to with... Life for your wood bat has higher strength than wood at low weights the info on free! For grip ( 1 ) athletic tape ( 2 ) Lizard skins (... Commission, but if we like it ’ s box ask your question the... Support at 208-356-6887 a hitting facility that uses real baseballs tangential section of bat... Great option, it just means you 're not hitting the sweet spot, the. Themselves and use the long, thin fungo bat to hit them for fielding practice, and you can for!

Let Everything That Has Breath Praise The Lord Gospel Song, Chemical Engineering Master's Salary, Circle Hook Size, Harman Kardon Vs Bose, Mercedes-benz Coffee Table Book, Ultradeck Composite Decking, Dwarf Viburnum Zone 5, 5 Stars Png,

Kommentera