how to pronounce thai names

How to say Thais in English? On the other hand, if you see a Thai word with th, it is never pronounced like the th in the English words "thin" or "this", but is rather the aspirated (accompanied by a puff of air) t sound. Im sure a lotta folks are going to find this blogging – very worthy of reading! Thank you. Jesus is pronounced in Thai, YEAsoo. Something like that. Names of colors in Thai comes in really handy when you’re seeking for additional possible choices in many items your are planning to purchase. Bhum becomes POOM. Great comments. You have read the example about how Thailand is pronounced. For that, please visit LearningThai.com. Phuket was once always spelt ‘Bhuket’, that was changed to Phuket. Look at how pretty the words look versus how it would look spelling out phonetically. Like Por que? Why do ROYAL NAMES have to be different in this way and that? How to say names in English? English the weird way; starting from the King’s name, and others. Think of it like a T and P in Spanish, if that helps. Copyright © 2018-2020 All rights reserved. Oakley, thanks for the pronunciation guide. Phi Phi Island –> Pee Pee Island. The highest recorded use of the first name Thida was in 1993 with a total of 7 babies. LOL. Now, you may continue with a cheat sheet to pronouncing Thai words written in English. I don’t think this is a good precedent for us all Thais to imitate in spelling our names in English, don’t you think so? Saint Joseph is Saint YOsef. Thai Society’s Top Tastiest Stories of the Year, Top Thai Language Google Search 2012: TV Program. Like, Suwarnnabhumi, we spell out according to the Pali or Sanskrit roots. Can you please tell me the proper pronunciation of the name “Chanakarn”? Just make sure that you apply that logic to all the H’s you see. Pronunciation of Thais with 2 audio pronunciations, 8 translations, 17 sentences and more for Thais. And the Social Security office is giving me a LOT of trouble because my stepson’s name appears on his passport as Nopphadon, while on his translated birth certificate it appears as Nopphadol. The way Thais spell out Thai words in English makes the word appear luxurious. Open your Thai guide book and see if you can spot all of these things I have mentioned and see if you could pronounce it correctly. the ways foreigners can really pronounce Thai names? Loading... Unsubscribe from Sia Chang? The main problem that the writer cited seemed to be internet searches being fruitless otherwise. we are in the dump ignoring the world. yes romanizing is not always a good thing, learning to read makes it so much easier- and it goes the other way too- as an English teacher it is interesting to see how people speak English when they write English in Thai script, Okay, please tell me how to pronounce Songkhla in english. as GANYANEE, instead of Galyani? But here’s a bit of a conundrum. thank you. google_ad_width = 160; how do i say this name: Washirapen Tongkam, Hot would you pronounce Srisooti? Reading a Thai word written in English is almost impossible to pronounce correctly, since there is no standard romanization of Thai language. A submission from United States says the name Eh means "Love". Pad refers to any dish that is stir-fried in a wok and Thai is referring to it being "Thai style". Phuket –> Pooh-ket, not Foo-ket. There are diff types of transliteration, and this means even more of a headache to foreigners. Simply select a language and press on the speaker button to listen to the pronunciation of the word. So, maybe to prevent the confusion of some foreigners calling the road PloenYIT instead of PloenJIT, they switched to spelling it with CH to get a closer pronunciation to the “J” without actually writing it. Pronunciation of the name Thuy (23 language audio files) Pronounce Thuy in English view more / help improve pronunciation. Thailand also offers more than hundreds of beautiful islands along two sides of coastlines. The same goes for k, kh, p and ph. Or, instead of sticking your tongue out between your teeth to say “Thong”, place your tongue behind your teeth and say it. The first, the letter "a", is pronounced "ah" as in "father" so the word for house, ban, is pronounced "bahn", not "ban" as in English. Thanks for the great primer. Coupon for How unique is the name Anurak? Being a foreigner, try using the CH sound first. You’ll see what I mean in a second…. How do you pronounce that? …Now, a few trickier ones for you to be aware of. According to a user from New York, U.S., the name Eh is of Thai origin and means "Love". You’ve learned that already from Suwarnnabhumi and King Bhumibol. Thank you, Mick. Hi, i got a tattoo in Thailand a few months ago it says beautiful life in Thai and i am embarrassed to say i don’t remember how to pronounce it correctly. would you please send me an email with true pronunciation of his name? “We were listening to a lot of sixties Thai funk when we started to play together,” says Lee about why they chose the now famously hard-to-pronounce name. Phrom, Thai for Brahma, the Hindu god. Ukrainian Pronunciation: Have a better pronunciation ? You just have to listen to the natives and hear what they say and make your own note for that. No idea why they had to stick with the ancient ‘bh’ transliteration instead of the Royal Standard Transliteration ‘Ph’. Yodhi means soldiers or army. *NEW ADDITION* 1. Karnchanaburi, the province that is home to the famous Bridge of the River Kwae (which is, by the way, pronounced like sQUARE, not k-why), is pronounced KAN-cha-na-bu-ri. Wat Phra Gaew –> Wat Pra Gaew, not Wat FRA Gaew. google_ad_client = "pub-8366387059368770"; But we do use it in our Romanized spellings though. Pad Thai seems straight forward enough, but I can't even count how many times I've heard people order "pad thigh". Out of 6,028,151 records in the U.S. Social Security Administration public data, the first name Anurak was not present. Bangkok’s famous bazarre is known to the locals as Ja-tu-jak Market, or JJ Market. //-->, HM King Chulalongkorn’s 1897 Journey to Europe, Revisiting Bangkok through Google Earth Street View. Man, we need a better system!

Kommentera